Sunday 28 January 2024

From Ye Old Blogge: Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Eryne Malmo

Some old pre-Blogspot.com posts, recycled.

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I had to get dead tree spam to find this out?

Just got an IBM brochure spammed to my desk by the mailperson.

IBM has "Active Hard Drive Protection System" on some Thinkpads. This rapidly shuts down the HDD if it detects beyond a certain level of movement, which means less head crashes and less data loss.

So if you drop it, the heads park and the drive spins down, and hopefully, this will minimise damage to the HDD. Moreover, if you are in a bumpy vehicle, it will detect that motion too, and adjust itself to fit in.

Did I say this is brilliant? Well, I do think that. Well done IBM!


These are random blog posts I recently rescued from a text dump of my earliest recorded blog posts from Ye Good Ole Days of writing stuff in Notepad and using some weird software that basically uploaded your entire blog every time you added a new article or edited an old one. 

I'm shamelessly adding that little mini-banner graphic with links for you to donate, check my newsletter site, and generally get more entangled in my weird world.  

No comments: