Monday 25 May 2009

Some Bank Is Concerned For The Security Of My Banking Details

And of course, I'm touched by their concern and immediately compliant to their authority.

Dear Bank - I am in receipt of your email dated this instant, requesting me to "update and verify" my information, no doubt including my PIN and account numbers I suppose, but since it's you that's asking I guess that's all right:

Dear xxxxxxxxx Bank member,

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until additional security measures can be completed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please update and verify your information by checking the link below: http://headcasehats.com/users/sandra/.limited/account/index.html
*** if you can't open this secure link copy to your internet browser

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxx Bank Account Review Department
------------------------------------
Copyright © xxxxxxxxx Bank of Australia 2009 ABN 48 123 123 124


Oh okay.  I understand that this is just a security measure intended to stop anyone stealing my information by sending me to some website with some un-bank-related name, like, oh, say, headcasehats.com and of course I'll do whatever you say because after all, I don't even bank with you.  So I promise to supply you with the details of all my other bank accounts so that you can check them with the other banks...

Honestly - is there some unwritten rule out there that says every phishing email has to be written by phucking phuckwits who think everyone else is an idiot too?  Is there some law of nature that requires idiots to give clear and unambiguous warning that they are idiots who think you're an even bigger idiot?  Come on phishers - at least look like you're making an effort...

I can just imagine this particular silver tongued devil sitting back waiting to the billions to start pouring in from all those banking details.  "I don't get it, Clem.  I wrote it all purty with real lawyerese stuff in it, but it's almost like they're all sitting back laughin' at me!" and with that sits back with head in hands, shattered and disillusioned.

Psst! Boy!  I got a link here for you!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect guaranteed to point out what your problem is!


Visit The Body Friendly Zen Cookbook and help support my work!

2 comments:

Tom said...

Ah, but, Ted. Working in the Internet industry has taught me one thing: That 98% of Internet users are either stupid or woefully naive, which you could argue is "two things".

Two things, I've been taught, that Internet users... oh never mind. You get the drift :)

teddlesruss said...

LOL

Yeah I've been out of IT too long, beginning to have optimistic delusions...

OMG Skynet won't have ANY problems at all picking us off...