Wednesday 17 January 2007

World Vision of another kind

I'm all for helping others, I honestly am. The measure of a person is by how they treat someone they don't stand to benefit from, etc etc etc... But I sometimes wonder at how some of these relief and aid organisations work.

The ad on TV at the moment says something along the lines of giving every child the conditions they deserve. I sort of agree. But follow me through on this line of thinking:

The thing these children most deserve is less siblings and peers to have to share the cake with. That means that if World Vision and all the other organisations were to do the best possible for the kids, they should educate the parents to have less children and supply condoms.

But let's face it, relief organisation staff are paid out of relief funds. If there are fewer children, there are less photo opportunities.

Am I too cynical?

No comments: